GEAR UP: The Science of Bikes TO OPEN AT Ella Sharp Museum ON JUNE 1, 2023
NEW EXHIBITION EXPLORES THE HISTORY AND SCIENCE BEHIND BICYCLES
From June 2023 through January 2024 Ella Sharp Museum will present GEAR UP: The Science of Bikes, organized by Carnegie Science Center (Pittsburgh). From schoolyards and mountain trails to bustling city streets, we encounter bicycles nearly every day. Since its inception in the late 19th century, the bicycle has affected how people live, work, and play. Its popularity has only grown over time, and it is as relevant today as it was 100 ago.
Because the bicycle is so commonplace, it’s easy to take for granted how it actually works. The bicycle is an elegant example of basic science principles and material science. Visitors learn how bikes work; what the history/evolution of the bike is; the science and technology behind the machine; and how bikes have impacted our culture. Like the bicycle itself, the exhibition has been designed to appeal to people of all ages and with diverse interests, from STEM to design to history to art.
GEAR UP includes 10 bikes exemplifying these categories:
- Origins – Ancestors of the modern bicycle, such as the Penny Farthing.
- Classics (1930s – 1970s) –From streamlined bikes such as the Black Phantom to Boomers’ Big Wheels and Schwinn Sting-Rays.
- Sport Bikes (1970s – Present) – Multi-speed cycles from pro competition to everyday use.
- Oddities and Offshoots – Bicycles customized in endless ways– from Tall Bikes to unicycles to clown bikes.
In addition, the exhibition includes a dozen interactive science exhibits, including:
- Hit the Brakes! – Visitors put on the brakes on this spinning disk, using three different pads to see how materials affect friction.
- Bike Body Xylophone – A series of tubes of different materials is ‘played’ by the visitor to explore why bikes can be made from different alloys.
- Gear Table – For younger visitors, a simple table of magnetic gears allows them to experiment with simple interlocking mechanisms of their own making.
- The exhibit is open Wednesday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and Sundays from Noon to 5:00pm.
- Exhibit: Gear Up: The Science of Bikes
- Exhibit Location: Ella Sharp Museum, 3225 Fourth St, Jackson, MI 49203
- On View at Ella Sharp Museum: June 2023 through January 2024
- Gallery Hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 12 – 5 p.m.
- Contact: 517-787-2320, email@example.com for more information, including additional programming and group rates.
- On May 16, 2023