Opening Reception – November 22
2-4 p.m. at the Ella Sharp Museum
Award ceremony at 3 p.m.
Exhibit will be open November 22-January 27, 2015.
Emmet & Pyron Galleries
Preserved: The Art of Taxidermy
NOW-January 10, 2015
The art of preparing and mounting the skins of animals for display or study first developed in France around the mid-1700s and has advanced dramatically over the years. This exhibit explores the process, techniques and materials used in modern taxidermy.
Andrews Gallery of Wildlife Art
The Andrews Gallery of Wildlife Art is exhibited at all times and changed twice a year, this selection of sixty to seventy works from the Andrews Collection of Wildlife Art of over 700 artworks. In 2006, the Andrews Gallery of Wildlife Art, a permanent installation, was established as a gift from Andy and Sandy Andrews, longtime residents of Jackson and and lifetime connoisseurs of fine art. Their gift included their entire collection of wildlife art which had been amassed during fifty years of collecting. Every medium is represented with bronze sculpture, bird and decoy carvings, paintings, prints and taxidermy mounts.
Most art is meant to capture our imaginations, and although wildlife art fulfills this virtue, this form of are also accentuates realism. Taxidermy mounts are featured in the collection, as all wildlife art is essentially based in nature. In many respects, only with taxidermy, as Audubon would first attest, can an artist become consciously aware of characteristic nuances which in most natural settings would be rare to capture. The artists exhibited in this gallery best reflect an underlying beauty revealed to them by nature and presented to us as their interpretation.
Never Enough Time Clock Gallery
Allen Spiess Jr, a local collector, provided funds to construct and furnish this gallery space. Al has donated or loaned to the Ella Sharp Museum many wonderful clocks, some of which are permanently on display. The Museum collection also contains other clocks donated or loaned by Jackson residents. The Museum’s intention is to rotate the display at least twice a year to allow for patrons to see as much of these collections as possible.
Al is pleased to have the Ella in the Jackson community so that visitors can enjoy his collections and the collections of others. He hopes this will inspire others to donate or lend to their collections to the Ella Sharp Museum for all to enjoy!
Jackson History Gallery
Two Tiffany stained glass panels welcome you to a sweeping look at the history of the Jackson area through the Museum’s collection of objects, photographs, and documents. The resolution table used during the 1854 founding of the Republican Party “Under the Oaks,” a restored 1916 Marion-Handley automobile, and a Michigan State Prison woven coverlet are just a few objects from the Museum’s collection.
From the pre-historic jawbone of an area Mastodon through early artifacts from the Jacksonburgh settlement, through the Civil and World Wars, into the age “the world takes what Jackson makes!” to the recent past – this chronological exhibition of Jackson’s story takes up residence in one of the Museum’s new galleries. And don’t miss the special “kid’s eye view” of growing up in Jackson throughout the past 175 years.
Just as the definition of Jackson History is forever changing, so is this gallery because there are so many stories to tell, so many objects to show and the future past to incorporate too!
Take a walk through the distant and recent past in this exhibition of earlier Jackson. Settlement, industry, and society are examined through artifacts from the Museum collection.
From the Collection: Filling the Gap of the 20th Century
The Museum Collections and Exhibits Department is charged with the collecting, care, and keeping of the thousands of objects in Museum storage and on exhibit. These items range from the large (historic buildings, the Marion-Handley automobile) to the tiny (buttons, military medals), fragile (Ella’s 1881 wedding dress) to the awkward (canoes). In the past months, the C&E department has been diligently working on moving the collections into the new storage areas created as a result of the capital campaign. “It’s been a huge task,” says Jim Zuleski, former Director of C&E, “But an extremely rewarding task as it has allowed us to see where the ‘gaps’ in our collection are.” Zuleski notes that while the mid-late 19th century is well represented (with minor gaps), the 20th century has some serious voids—a common problem with a century so recently experienced. Want to add to the Museum collection? Contact the Collections and Exhibits Department at the Museum at (517) 787-2320.